Wednesday, February 11, 2009

at the cross i bow my knee

Philippians 2:1-11 (Imitating Christ's Humility)

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from His love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also the interests of others.

Your attitude should be he same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who, being in the very nature of God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.


the week before was - fuhh, really busy!! netball and cf camp stuffs. i thank God that my life's pace has slowed down a lot this week before i get a heart attack!

but in that fast paced week, i learned a lot. i learned what it is to trust God to know what's best for my life, and i learnt to be obedient to Him, even if it means giving up what i want and what i think is best for my life. and i learnt how hard it really is.

i understand a little bit clearer now what it is to let go of things in obedience to Christ, to humble myself and allow Him to do what He wants in my life. to be an imitator of Christ's humility, and to bow my knee before the cross and say, "Lord, have your way in me."

i've always thought that i knew what it means to give up all for God's call, but when it came to giving up one really simple thing in my life, i struggled to do so. even to the point of reasoning it out in human terms to myself, when i knew that i couldn't do that to God's calling. but God told me to trust and to obey. to humble myself before Him and lay it all down at His feet.

so, i did.

and i thank God for teaching me to obey and to listen. and i thank Him for His grace that despite me trying to reason things out and trying to get my own way, He didn't give up on me and stop speaking, but He kept directing and speaking to me about what i was supposed to do.

Lord, thank you for all you've done. :)
Lord, thank you for laying down your life for me.
Continue to mould my life to be what you want it to be.
help me to come everyday before your cross
and lay my life before you and after that take up my cross and follow you.

" He is no fool if he gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose. "
- Jim Elliot

2 comments:

David Leong Kin Ming said...

heyy! apa macam?
Interesting post. I agree that it's always easy to say: " I give my life for GOD ", yet it's infinitely harder to actually lay it down. And as Christians we're all learning to lay it down, every time we obey.. =) Being humble is being obedient to death, even death to death on the cross. Scary thing for me to do, I'd say.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.