Wednesday, March 20, 2013

in life and in death

From the Heidelberg Catechism

Question 1: What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

Haven't been writing here for quite a while, but a lot has happened and has been happening. I recently got into a car accident, no injuries, thank God for His protection. But the car is now in the workshop. The damage was not a total wreck but it's still pretty bad shape.



:( hmmm.

But through it all, this was my comfort: that I belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ in life and in death. More than a physical death, I am saved from the consequence of my sinfulness that is eternal suffering. And that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head. This is such an amazing assurance, that I need not be afraid not even of death.

I've been learning that it's not how great my faith is but really it is who I put my faith in that matters. A lot of times, we put our faith in many things other than God; our jobs, our families, our loved ones, our financial stability, our education, our achievements, our fame and fortune, our homes, our properties, etc. But all these are not able to save us and are not able to keep us for all these are perishing as well.

Knowing these, makes me sincerely willing and ready to live unto Him. And so, I realize I need to live differently, in obedience by His grace and mercy. I am reminded over and over, not by my own means but by the Spirit of God.

No comments: